Friday 18 April 2008

Difficulties of student job search in europe

Friday, April 4, 2008

Since I arrived in France, I have not stopped searching for a student job or a free internship. I am yet to land myself one. It is very difficult to find a student job mostly when you do not study in the capital cities. There are not a lot of internationally oriented companies in the smaller cities, especially in a city like Lille (in the north of France, at the borders between London, Belgium and close to Amsterdam and Germany). Companies always ask for experienced/qualified candidates and I ask how much chances are giving to students who do not have the absolute possibilities to be qualified because they are busy with their paper works.

I received a call this morning for an interview scheduled for next Monday. The job is supposed to be an internship in the human resource department, in a city 3 hours away. Given the fact that I am a foreign student and do have enough holiday to spend away from the city where I live, I do not have to worry about going to work in a far away city because, I already live far away from my home land.

I will keep my dear readers informed about the out come of the interview. It is my first since I have been applying (so you can imagine how nervous I am) . Only a few companies have taken the time to contact me, while some others only reply by mail, informing that even though your candidature is very convincing, they are sorry not to offer you the job because your spoken french is not up to the standard required.

I do not get very sad because I am still in school and do know that it will not be the case when I would be through with school. But one still needs some professional experience to boost ones CV.

I promise to keep you informed.

No comments: